Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab
Website and/or Calendar Links
The Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab is an open and collaborative workshop space for computer-driven innovation, design and fabrication. Fab Lab enables makers of all kinds to imagine, design and create using open source software and DIY equipment. Fab Lab does this by working with a local and international network to actively cultivate public engagement through community-focused art, entrepreneurship, research and education.
Fab Lab is short for Fabrication Laboratory. They are a specific kind of Makerspace.
- Physically, our Fab Lab is an advanced workshop space for rapid prototyping and computer-based design. It is also comprised of a network of a number of smaller mini or mobile fab lab spaces.
Culturally, the CUC Fab Lab is driven by a community of practice, people often referred to as Makers.
Functionally, Fab Labs encourage people to become makers by exploring the entire design process.
Philosophically, we believe the open source ethos of the Fab Lab inspires interest and innovation in many fields.
Visit the Fab Lab Location & Hours webpage for current General Open Sessions and Special Event Session times.
The Fab Lab may observe for the following holidays
- Memorial Day
- July 4th
- Labor Day
- Christmas Eve through New Years Day
- Illinois Informatics
- Office of the Chief Information Officer
- College of Education
- I-STEM Education Initiative
- School of Labor and Employment Relations
- College of Engineering
- College of Fine and Applied Arts
- Tap In Leadership Academy
- iSchool (School of Information Sciences)