ConvoPartner Program at the Intensive English Institute
Website and/or Calendar Links
The ConvoPartners program matches IEI students with University of Illinois students, staff, faculty, and Urbana-Champaign community members interested in meeting students from other countries weekly for casual English conversation and mutual cultural exchange. You can make new friends and experience the world from another viewpoint. It’s also an experience you can add to your resume.
You can become a volunteer for the Conversation Partners Program by completing the Volunteer Signup Form. As soon as we find a match for you (usually during the first week of the semester), we’ll let you know how to contact your new conversation partners.
For more information, email ConvoPartners.
Application is open to those 18 years of age or older who are…
- University of Illinois students
- University of Illinois faculty
- University of Illinois staff
- Urbana-Champaign community members
- Have a solid understanding of American customs and culture
- Have understandable English pronunciation
- Have attended an American high school
- Attend the ConvoPartners orientation and match-up at the beginning of the semester
- Meet with your ConvoPartner (1 or 2 IEI students) for at least one hour each week. You and your partner can pick the time and place that is convenient for both of you.
- Complete a weekly online form to track your volunteer hours
- Attend some of the all-IEI social activities. These events are optional, but the students love it when their ConvoPartners can join them.