2019 Young Writers Summer Camps - Elementary Camp
Date:Mon, 7/22/2019 - Fri, 8/2/2019
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
Dates & Times
- Dates: July 22nd-26th, July 29th-August 2nd
- Time: 9am-3pm, with before and aftercare available from 8am to 5pm.
- Each week will feature separate topics of instruction so students can sign up for one or two weeks of the camp.
Elementary Summer Camp Details
The University of Illinois Writing Project sponsors writing camps in the summer led by experienced teachers. The Elementary Camp provides an enrichment opportunity for young writers. Students learn how to write in a variety of genres, which may include:
- Comic Strip Writing
- Short stories
Young Writers Camp Philosophy
Students come to the camp to experience being in a community of writers. Our teachers guide that community and teach students skills to expand their writing abilities. The students work in small groups, as well as getting some focused attention from teachers.
Students will be free to create unique original pieces of writing in this communal environment. Students will make friends, learn to work collaboratively with others, and have great fun writing. We strive to provide students with an enjoyable experience that will leave them with a positive attitude about their ability to write.
Registration & Costs
Visit the Young Writers Camps webpage to register online
- Each week will feature separate topics of instruction so student can sign up for one or two weeks of the camp.
- Previous campers are welcome to apply!
- Students need to bring a sack lunch on Mondays through Thursdays. Lunch will be provide on both Fridays of the camp.
- Students will also be provided with a camp t-shirt.
Prices and Discounts
- One Week Attendance: $325
- Two Week Attendance: $550
- Early Bird discount: $50 OFF TOTAL UNTIL MAY 1st
- Sibling discount: $25 OFF TOTAL for up to 3 siblings
- Loyalty discount: $25 OFF TOTAL
- Free and Reduced Lunch Discount is $150 OFF TOTAL
- Please email Wendy Maxson for more information about possible teacher sponsorship opportunities.