4-H Illini Summer Academies 2019
Date:Sun, 6/23/2019 - Sat, 6/29/2019
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
Illinois 4-H is proud to offer this hi-fidelity college exploratory experience on the University of Illinois campus. Participants attend academy sessions led by university professors and enjoy a variety of engaging activities that provide a taste of just how cool college life can be. Imagine getting to work alongside university professors while you’re still in HIGH SCHOOL! Imagine getting to hang out on a college campus. Imagine spending five days with kids your age from all across Illinois. That’s what happens at Illini Summer Academies, so stop imagining it and just do it!
This program offers teens the opportunity to explore the University of Illinois campus and many degree programs and careers. Illini Summer Academies is supported through the Illinois 4-H Foundation and intended to serve youth living in Illinois. A limited number of registration slots are available to youth living outside Illinois.
Illini Summer Academies is open to any Illinois youth who will be at least 14 years of age and not yet 19 by Sept. 1, 2019 AND has completed eighth grade by the time of the conference.
This is a live-in conference, and youth stay in college dorms throughout the conference. Youth are not allowed to commute in for daytime activities.
Choose from these Academies (cost varies by Academy)
Check out details about each Academy on the Illini Summer Academies webpage.
All academies feature project-based learning where youth are either conducting experiments, making something, or discovering some aspect of the world few people ever get to see. It wouldn't be college without lots of time for socializing, meeting new friends, and exploring campus. So far, these are the Academies for 2019.
New Academies for 2019 are:
- Agricultural Engineering
- Ag & Natural Resources
- Food Science and Human Nutrition
Returning Academies include:
- Honeybees and beekeeping
- Veterinary Medicine
- Animal Sciences
- Aerospace Engineering Academy
- Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Telling Stories About Ag and the Environment – Ag Communications
- Exploring Human Development & Family Studies
- Grand Challenges in Family Science
- Companion Animal Nutrition and Pet Food Manufacturing Academy
- Game Design: Digital Art, Storytelling and Fabrication
- Theater Arts: African Dance
- Theater Arts: Fashion & Design
Registration & Cost
Registration for the 2019 Illini Summer Academies Begins March 1
Registration will be available on the 4-H Illini Summer Academies website.
Your cost varies depending on which Academy you choose from the list.
Payment by credit card is required at the time of registration.
4-H Illini Summer Academies offers the Trail Blazers Scholarship to make college exploratory experiences accessible to all youth by encouraging participation of scholars who are under-represented in certain career fields and who may find the cost of attendance to exploratory programs a significant challenge.
To apply for the scholarship, do not register through the general registration button on the website. Check the Scholarship section on the 4-H Illini Summer Academies webpage for the link to the scholarship registration form.
This scholarship is available to scholars who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- The scholar is a member of a group that is under-represented in the industry of their chosen academy such as women who are under-represented in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) fields and men who are under-represented in Human development fields
- The scholar would be the first among their immediate family members to earn a degree from a 4yr college or university
- The scholar can demonstrate financial need based on household income and the number of members in the household.
- University of Illinois Extension
- Illinois 4-H