Young Strings on the Move: The Paul Rolland String Camp - Summer 2019
Date:Sun, 7/7/2019 - Sat, 7/13/2019
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
The pedagogy of Paul Rolland has revolutionized the string teaching profession. In the Paul Rolland String Camp, young violin, viola and cello students will be challenged with not only playing correct notes, but will be taught to develop freedom of movement in playing, free from excessive tension. Students will take part in small and large group instruction with our engaging and experienced faculty and showcase what they have learned at the end of the week. The camp will offer a window into Paul Rolland pedagogy not just for students, friends and family, but also for the dozens of string teaching professionals visiting Urbana-Champaign for the Paul Rolland String Pedagogy Workshop.
The Paul Rolland String Camp offers two options for enrollment: “Junior Camp” or “Main Camp.” Age listings below may be flexible based on instructor consent. Students will be placed into appropriate groups based on their age, current repertoire and teacher recommendations.
JUNIOR CAMP (violin and viola, ages 5-7)
- The Junior Camp provides an option for the youngest violin and viola students, meeting for a shorter two-hour period each day. Students as young as age 5 are welcome, with exceptions for 4-year-olds at the discretion of the camp faculty.
- Junior CampTuition: $125
- Prerequisite: As a minimum-skill guideline, Junior Camp students should be able to play Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, Variations and Theme (or equivalent) from Suzuki Method volume 1.
- Schedule: Students in the Junior Camp will attend M-F, 8am to 10am, and Sat, 8am to 11.
MAIN CAMP (violin, viola and cello, ages 8-12)
- Main Camp students will attend the full four-hour camp period each day.
- Main Camp Tuition: $250
- Prerequisite: Main Camp will likely consist of two groups — intermediate and advanced. As a minimum-skill guideline, Main Camp violin/viola students should be able to play Minuet 2 (or equivalent) from Suzuki Method volume 1. Main Camp cello students must be able to play in first position on all four strings (Examples: Ode to Joy p. 23 from Essential Elements, Can-Can p. 25 from Essential Elements, French Folk Song, p. 28 from Essential Elements. Advanced level: Minuet in C by Bach).
- Schedule: Students in the Main Camp will attend M-F, 8am to noon, and Sat, 8am to 11.
Registration & Costs
Total enrollment for the Paul Rolland String Camp is limited to 36 students.
Registration will open in late winter/early spring.
As enrollment is limited, you are encouraged to complete your registration as soon as possible.
June 14, 2019 is the deadline to register, pay tuition, or receive a refund.
- Visit the Registration & Policies webpage for full details.