Fruit Tree, Chestnut, and Currant Propagation (Friday) - McLean County
Time:12:30 PM - 4:30 PM
Website and/or Calendar Links
At Fruit Tree, Chestnut, and Currant Propagation, participants will learn to:
- Graft apples and pears (Asian and European varieties)
- Propagate by root cuttings from black and red currants
- Plant and care for Chinese Chestnut seed from superior varieties that have been growing in the Midwest.
Each participant can take home:
- 4 fruit trees of their choice
- Assorted varieties of proven apple and pear, or bring your own scion wood.
- 4 currant cuttings
- Black and red varieties available. White *may* be available as well.
- 6 Chinese chestnut seeds
- Varieties: Qing, Gideon, Peach, Mossbarger, Shotgun, Luvall's Monster, Auburn Super
This is an outdoor program. Dress appropriately to work out doors.
Cut-resistant gloves and plexiglass shields provided for practicing traditional grafting cuts.
A specialized grafting tool will be available for those interested in maximum productivity and a safer technique.
Cost: $35/person covers all materials.
Registration: Online registration form