2019 Aerospace Engineering Camp (Women-Focused)
Date:Sun, 7/7/2019 - Sat, 7/13/2019
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
Formerly known as Girls’ Adventures in Math, Engineering, and Science (GAMES) Summer Camps
From tiny airplanes delivering packages to sending humans to Mars, today is an exciting time for everything related to Aerospace Engineering! This camp provides young women with the opportunity to explore aerospace engineering through numerous hands-on projects and demonstrations.
Utilizing individual and team activities, participants will investigate various aspects of this discipline comprising flight mechanics, aerodynamics, aerospace structures, orbital mechanics, and propulsion systems to then apply them to aircraft and spacecraft design. These topics will help the students answer questions such as:
- What keeps airplanes in the air during a flight?
- How are composite materials used to improve aircraft efficiency?
- What is needed to launch people and satellites into space?
- How do satellites stay in orbit around the Earth?
Camp activities include:
- Design, construction, and launch of model boost gliders and rockets.
- Classes and laboratory sessions led by graduate students and faculty working on cutting-edge research projects.
- Guest speakers from the Aerospace industry. Past guest speakers were representatives of NASA, Northrop-Grumman, Orbital ATK, and JPL.
- Field trip to the local airport where participants have the opportunity to take an actual flight in a small aircraft operated by the Institute of Aviation.
Dr. Brian Woodard serves as the Director of Undergraduate Programs in Aerospace Engineering. He organizes several summer outreach programs and developed the curriculum for this Aerospace Engineering camp. Dr. Woodard earned his Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Illinois where he studied high-energy chemical lasers. His current research interests include engineering education and aircraft icing aerodynamics.
Visit the Aerospace Engineering Camp (Women-Focused) webpage for online application.
Registration closes March 1, 2019
Visit Frequently Asked Questions About Summer Camps for more details.