2018 Summer Institute for Languages of the Muslim World
Date:Mon, 6/11/2018 - Fri, 8/3/2018
Website and/or Calendar Links
The Summer Institute for Languages of the Muslim World (SILMW) is an annual intensive language institute at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign that focuses specifically on teaching critical languages spoken in the Muslim World.
The Summer Institute offers intensive immersive classes in a variety of languages. Get all the details below:
If you have questions about specific languages please contact the language instructors for these languages. Course offerings are subject to enrollment numbers. University of Illinois students can also enroll in these langauge classes during the Academic Year.
SILMW is open to University of Illinois students and students from other universities and/or high schools. The goal is to provide students with the opportunity to learn the diverse languages of the Muslim World to set them apart in the international work force. SILMW recognizes the strategic and ethical importance of learning less commonly taught languages in an increasingly globalized world. Many of the languags taught at SILMW have been designated as Critical Languages by the US Government.
SILMW is an eight-week program divided into two four-week semesters. The institute is designed to provide students with a holistic language learning experience complete with instruction, cultural activities and opportunities for language practice. Students enrolled in the entire eight weeks of SILMW will receive the equivalent of two semesters of instruction, up to 10 credits over the course of the summer!
In addition to classroom instruction, SILMW offers a variety of co-curricular activities designed to enhance classroom instruction, provide additional channels for language contact and practice, expose learners to the traditions of the Muslim World and have opportunities to interact with experts in these fields. Specifically, students will participate in conversation tables and cooking classes. They will watch and put on performances in the target languages, attend lectures on culture and religion and language specific movie nights.
- UIUC students can register directly on the Banner System as during the academic year, but they must pay the activities fee as other students. UIUC students should use the University course registration resource and search for the course of their interest by language. For example, if you are interested in taking Arabic, the relevant SILMW course will be listed under 'Summer 2018' 'Arabic'. All languages have their own subject headings.
- Contact language specific instructors if you have difficulty registering for these classes. UIUC students should register for language classes in Summer I and Summer II by April 30
- In addition to the language courses, students must register for LING 110: Cultural Experiences of the Muslim World. Students must register for LING 110 alongside each language course they register for
- Students from other Universities
- Non UIUC students are required to submit an application. The deadline for application is April 30. To apply to SILMW 2018, please fill out the relevant online application form (for undergraduate or graduate) non-degree admission, linked on the SILMW Prospective Students section.
- Program Registration deadline: APRIL 30, 2018.
- SILMW courses open conditional on sufficient enrollment.
- The Summer Institute for Languages of the Muslim World