2018 High School Summer Bridge Program - Portuguese
Date:Mon, 6/4/2018 - Fri, 6/15/2018
Occurs each week on M/Tu/W/Th/F
Please note: this event occurred in the past!
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
- The 7th largest economy in the world, covers one half of the landmass of South America, and is the 2nd largest industrial power in the Americas.
- One of the world’s agricultural powerhouses: it is the #3 producer of corn, the #2 producer of soy, and #1 producer of sugar cane, coffee, and oranges.
- Home to the largest African diasporic populations in the world, over 50% of Brazil’s population self-identifies as Afro-Brazilians.
- Home to over 200 American Indian Languages, and large German, and Italian-speaking populations.
- The 6th most widely spoken language in the world with approximately 250 million speakers. It is also the 3rd most widely spoken European language in the world (after English and Spanish).
- The official language of nine countries: Brazil, Portugal, Angola, Mozambique, Guinea-Bissau, East Timor, Cape Verde, and São Tomé and Príncipe. It is also the lingua franca of the Macau region in China, making it an official language on every continent except North America. There are many people who speak Portuguese in Goa, India.
- Portuguese is one of the official languages of the European Union, MERCOSUR, and the Organization of American States
Activities will include
- Movie and Discussion
- Music/Dance Activity
- Invited speaker on Brazilian cultural topic
- Brazil Geography and Populations
- Travel highlights
- 3.5 hours of meeting time (9:00 a.m. - 12:30 pm), Mon-Fri
- Introduction to the Portuguese language for two weeks
- Immersion in Brazilian culture
- Language materials created by our instructors.
- Activities supported with authentic aural/visual materials (music, films, YouTube videos).
- Daily cultural activities designed to introduce students to highlights of Brazilian art , music, history, and food.
- View the program flyer (PDF)
- Two-week introductory course directed to High School students
- No prior knowledge of Portuguese assumed
- Enrollment limited to 12 students in one class
Registration & Cost
- Visit the 3rd High School Summer Bridge - Portuguese webpage for Electronic Registration Form
- Course fee: $25.00 (includes materials)
- Registration deadline: Friday, May 25, 2018
- Department of Spanish & Portuguese