2018 Girls’ Adventures in Mathematics, Engineering, and Science (GAMES): Materials Science & Engineering (Middle School)
Date:Mon, 6/25/2018 - Fri, 6/29/2018
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
Girls’ Adventures in Mathematics, Engineering, and Science (GAMES) is an annual week-long camp, designed to give academically talented high school girls (rising 9th-12th graders) an opportunity to explore exciting engineering and scientific fields through demonstrations, classroom presentations, hands-on activities, and contacts with women in these technical fields.
GAMES presents an advanced curriculum, uses world-class instructional facilities, and provides an “away from home” experience at one of the best engineering schools in the world.
Enrollment in the program is limited to ensure the quality of the academic experience. GAMES has a selective admissions process based on academic performance, a written essay, and a teacher recommendation.
Visit the GAMES Camp website for full listing of all available topics and options.
2018 Materials Science and Engineering – (mid)Girls Learning about Materials (mid-GLAM) Track
This is a DAY CAMP for rising 6th - 8th grade girls, NOT residential camp like the other GAMES tracks.
In this week long summer camp you will have the opportunity to think like a “material’s scientist”. To do materials science is to study “stuff”. Your life is surrounded by “stuff”. From the clothes you wear to the batteries that power your phone, all of that “stuff” is made of materials like plastic or metals. A material’s scientist investigates how materials are put together, how they can be used, how they can be changed and improved.
You will have hands-on exposure to the materials that run our society, how to make them, understand their function, and how we can predict the ways they will evolve in the future. More specifically, we will investigate how materials are made stronger, how we can make them cleaner, smarter, how we can make them colorful, or very light weight.
No special science background is required to participate in the activities we are planning. The only thing you need is a curious mind and be ready to have fun!
The camp is coordinated by Prof. Leal, active in the area of biomaterials, and Prof. Maass, whose research focuses on metallic materials.
Application & Cost:
- Eligibility: 6th - 8th grade
- Cost: Free
- To apply: Find more information on the Women In Engineering Application webpage or visit Engineering at Illinois Common Application for Summer Camps to find the specific camp application forms
- Please note: There are eight total GAMES Camp tracks to choose from. The Materials Science and Engineering – (mid)Girls Learning about Materials (mid-GLAM) Track is the only 2018 GAMES offering for middle school students.
- Admissions is done on a first-completed, first-served basis, which means that your camp/topic of choice may be full at the time of your application’s consideration. Therefore, GAMES recommends submitting your full application as soon as possible.
- Applications will be accepted until camps are full. GAMES will announce when the applications become full on their website.