2018 Girls’ Adventures in Mathematics, Engineering, and Science (GAMES): Computer Engineering & Computer Science
Date:Sun, 7/8/2018 - Sat, 7/14/2018
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
Girls’ Adventures in Mathematics, Engineering, and Science (GAMES) is an annual week-long camp, designed to give academically talented high school girls (rising 9th-12th graders) an opportunity to explore exciting engineering and scientific fields through demonstrations, classroom presentations, hands-on activities, and contacts with women in these technical fields.
GAMES presents an advanced curriculum, uses world-class instructional facilities, and provides an “away from home” experience at one of the best engineering schools in the world.
Enrollment in the program is limited to ensure the quality of the academic experience. GAMES has a selective admissions process based on academic performance, a written essay, and a teacher recommendation.
Visit the GAMES Camp website for full listing of all available topics and options.
2018 Computer Science Track
What do you think of when you think of computer engineering or computer science?
Maybe you think of a programmer alone late at night in front of a screen, or a hardware hacker surrounded by blinking computer parts. Computer science is not just coding, and computer engineering is not just electronics. Computing is all around us, and you can find it almost everywhere. In this camp you’ll explore how code intersects with your digital and physical worlds.
In this camp you will:
- Learn fundamental concepts found in any programming language using Scratch, a popular open-source programming language developed at MIT.
- Design and create a mobile app for Android phones or tablets using App Inventor, an open-source app development tool.
- Explore the intersection of art, fashion, and technology through e-textile projects.
- Make copper tape circuits to examine basic electronics.
- Write computer code for microprocessors that will control a wearable tech accessory, an interactive art piece, or a literature project that you design.
- Investigate topics related to cybersecurity and protection of critical infrastructures.
- Connect hands-on experiences to computer simulations.
Visit the GAMES Camp website for the most up to date information.
Application & Cost:
- Eligibility: rising 9th-12th graders
- Cost: $1,000
- To apply: Find more information on the Women In Engineering Application webpage or visit Engineering at Illinois Common Application for Summer Camps to find the specific camp application forms
- Please note: There are eight total GAMES Camp tracks to choose from. However, admissions is done on a first-completed, first-served basis, which means that your camp/topic of choice may be full at the time of your application’s consideration. If this happens, you will be placed on a waiting list for your first choice camp, and will be admitted to your second or third choice of camp, space permitting. Therefore, GAMES recommends submitting your full application as soon as possible.
- Applications will be accepted until camps are full. We will announce when the applications become full on our website.
- For those needing financial assistance to attend GAMES camp, please apply early as Women in Engineering has limited financial aid available.