4-H Illini Summer Academies 2018
Date:Sun, 6/24/2018 - Thu, 6/28/2018
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
Illinois 4-H is proud to offer this hi-fidelity college exploratory experience on the University of Illinois campus. Participants attend academy sessions led by university professors and enjoy a variety of engaging activities that provide a taste of just how cool college life can be. Imagine getting to work alongside university professors while you’re still in HIGH SCHOOL! Imagine getting to hang out on a college campus. Imagine spending five days with kids your age from all across Illinois. That’s what happens at Illini Summer Academies, so stop imagining it and just do it!
This program offers teens the opportunity to explore the University of Illinois campus and many degree programs and careers. Illini Summer Academies is supported through the Illinois 4-H Foundation and intended to serve youth living in Illinois. A limited number of registration slots are available to youth living outside Illinois.
Open to any student who will be at least 14 years of age (and not yet 19) by Sept. 1, 2018 and has completed eighth grade by the time of the conference. Students do not have to have previous 4-H experience to attend.
Please Note: Some of the academies have restrictions on who can register for an academy. If you have attended the Illini Summer Academies before, you may not be able to attend the same academy again. Some of the academies also have grade or academic classwork restrictions. These are noted in the registration form below next to the name of the academy and its cost.
Choose from these Academies (cost varies by Academy)
Check out details about each Academy on the Illini Summer Academies webpage. All Academies feature project-based learning where youth are either conducting experiments, making something, or discovering some aspect of the world few people ever get to see.
New Academies for 2018 are:
- Companion Animal Nutrition & Pet Food Manufacturing
- Game Design: Digital Art, Storytelling, and Fabrication
- Advanced Microbiology
- Plant Biology: Life Beneath our Feet
- Work Hard/Play Hard: Careers in Health Sciences, Sports, and Wellness
Returning Academies include:
- Aerospace Engineering
- Ag Communications
- Animal Science
- Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Honeybees & Beekeeping
- Human Development & Family Studies
- Grand Challenges of Family Studies
- Molecular & Cellular Biology
- Theater & Fashion for Stage
- Theater & African Dance
- Vet Medicine
Registration & Cost
- Registration deadline: May 1, 2018 (Be aware that several academies fill very quickly.)
- Registration is available online via the Illini Summer Academies webpage.
- The cost of the Conference varies depending on which Academy of study you choose.
- Registration Fees cover 4-nights lodging in U of I dorms (2 people per room), all meals EXCEPT lunch Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday, a conference t-shirt, all Academy course supplies. Students will need to bring money to cover lunch on campus on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday,and for any souvenirs and snacks they may want.
Eligible students may request a scholarship. For eligibility requirements and the application link please visit Illini Summer Academies webpage.
- University of Illinois Extension
- Illinois 4-H
- Department of Human Development and Family Studies