LIFT College Access Mentoring Program
Website and/or Calendar Links
The program is housed at Urbana Neighborhood Connections Center (UNCC) in Urbana. An academic support component will also be in place for graduated mentees who will be sophomores, juniors and seniors in high school. This academic component includes tutoring, checking grades, a service component and a series of workshops. We plan to support the youth in the community starting in kindergarten in their goals of higher education. It is important for us to encourage all students to pursue college to open up more career opportunities. Our goals are to:
- To provide access and exposure to college for underrepresented youth in the Urbana-Champaign community.
- To influence and inform high school aged youth on positive life decisions.
- To provide a safe space for students to interact with peers and discuss challenging issues.
- To encourage students to address the needs of their communities, and working with them to publicly engage themselves in improving and meeting those needs.
- To create a strong and trusting link between the community at the University of Illinois with the community in the greater Urbana-Champaign area.
- To aid high school students in the transition into the college and fully prepare them for the application process.
- To increase retention of first and second year underrepresented students at the University of Illinois.
- To create a learning experience outside of the classroom through interaction amongst other advocates of higher education.
- To promote time management and planning amongst college and high school students
- To bring together a group of students to positivity represent the underrepresented community to the University and the University to the underrepresented community.
Throughout the academic year, we will mentor and tutor students Kindergarten to eighth grade assuring that the students beginning thinking about college. The focus of on high school students will be to prepare them for college and assisting them with the application process. We will attend college tours in the second semester. College mentor will reassure that students are entering college prepared for any obstacle.
- Registered Student Organizations Office
- Department of African American Studies