2018 Girls Engaged in Math and Science (GEMS) - High School Camp
Date:Mon, 6/11/2018 - Fri, 6/22/2018
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
Join Girls Engaged in Math and Science (GEMS) for an action-packed week of coding, group project work, field trips, problem solving, and social networking with peers. Be inspired to consider computing as a course of future study. Learn and interact with dynamic CS women undergraduate mentors/instructors.
Gems Camp is offered weekly over the summer from mid-June through the end of July. These are the dates for the summer of 2018:
- June 11-15 and 18-22, for the 2-week high school track
- June 25-29, a 1-week middle school track
- July 9-13, a 1-week middle school track
- July 16-20, a 1-week middle school track
- July 23-27, a 1-week middle school track
Who Should Attend?
Any female student entering grades 9-12 in the fall who is interested in computing, programming, or problem solving, and who want to see how computer science applies to medicine, business, entertainment, fashion, and the arts.
What do campers do each day?
New activities are designed each year, but past Gems Camp participants have learned how to program in various computer languages, designed computer games and animations, and made LED bracelets and fashion apparel. Each of the four middle school sessions are unique.
Work in the Thomas M. Siebel Center for Computer Science, one of the finest instructional and research facilities in the country.
Meet and work with like-minded peers who are passionate about learning.
Camp hours are 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. daily for each week.
Registration & Cost
Visit the GEMS Computer Science for Girls webpage for full details.
How much does it cost to attend?
Nothing. Seriously, campers pay nothing to attend thanks to the generous support of alumni. However, participants are responsible for their own meals and travel expenses—including daily meter fees if they park on campus. Participants attending from out of town are responsible for finding and paying for their own lodging.
GEMS welcomes donations to support the costs of student staffing and supplies during each camp. Please Give Now if you can help.
- 2018 Girls Engaged in Math and Science (GEMS) - Middle School Camps - Week 3
- 2018 Girls Engaged in Math and Science (GEMS) - Middle School Camps - Week 4
- 2018 Girls Engaged in Math and Science (GEMS) - Middle School Camps - Week 2
- 2018 Girls Engaged in Math and Science (GEMS) - Middle School Camps - Week 1