2018 Summer Intensive Arabic Program for High School Students
Date:Sun, 6/10/2018 - Sat, 6/23/2018
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
The Summer Institute for the Languages of the Muslim World (SILMW) at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) opens its doors to motivated high school students for a 2-week intensive Elementary Arabic course. This is an introductory course in Modern Standard Arabic for high school students with limited or no prior knowledge of the Arabic language.
A program leading to success
During these 2 weeks, students will learn foundational reading, writing, and speaking skills in the Arabic language through four hours of daily classroom instruction followed by co-curricular activities, including conversation tables, research forum, film series, cooking classes, calligraphy, Henna Tattoo, field trips, and more. During the program, participants will meet college students, local Arabic community members, and live in a residence hall located on the UIUC campus with Arabic speaking support staff. All of these aspects of the program will contribute to their knowledge of Arabic and familiarity with the culture of the Arab world.
Students will earn 2 college credits as well as a sense of what to expect after graduating high school.
- Language program designed and run by experienced teachers, tutors and staff with native command of Arabic
- No prior knowledge of Arabic assumed
- Small class size and supportive environment
- Immersion in target language and culture
- Students will earn 2 college credits
- Solid preparation for college
How to Apply
- Visit the Application Information webpage
- All application materials must be submitted by April 30, 2018.
Program Fees & Scholarships
- Residential Student – $2300 and includes tuition, program fees, activities fees, materials, room and board, and meals.
- Commuter Student – $1150 and includes tuition, program fees, activities fees, and materials.
- Non-refundable application fee: $25 due at time of application.
- Non-refundable program deposit: $250 due by Friday May 4, 2018
- FULL and PARTIAL scholarships and financial aid might become available.
- In order to be considered for a scholarship, you must apply and register by the extended deadline (April 30, 2018).
- The Summer Institute for Languages of the Muslim World