nano@illinois Research Experience for Teachers - Summer 2017
Date:Wed, 6/28/2017 - Tue, 8/8/2017
Website and/or Calendar Links
A 6-week nanotechnology research experience at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
The nano@illinois Research Experience for Teachers (RET) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign will annually (from 2014-2017) expose a diverse set of in-service and pre-service science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) teachers and community college faculty from across the nation to cutting-edge research in nanotechnology. The RET will focus on recruiting underrepresented minority populations (focused on ethnicity, geography, disability, and veteran status) including women and will target teachers from high-need areas, including inner city, rural, low-income, and those with significant URM students. Participants will conduct research in world-class labs and engage in other activities over 6 weeks on a full-time basis, with 4 follow-up sessions during the school year. Participants will have possibilities to extend the RET for 2 years.
Teacher professional development will include teacher-focused lectures, ethics seminars, hands-on modules, STEM education issues, career choices, and resources for implementing a nano lab and curriculum. With interest and experience in K-14 education, faculty's and staff's commitment to this RET Site will ensure positive outcomes for the teachers and their students. The RET Site will leverage institutional knowledge and educational resources developed through the NSF Center for Nanoscale Chemical-Electrical-Mechanical Manufacturing Systems (Nano-CEMMS).
Each teacher will develop a high-quality multi-day instructional module with associated instructional resources that is grounded in the research conducted throughout the summer and research area worked in. In addition to teaching this module to students and collecting data on its integration in your classroom, this module will be shared nationwide through nanotechnology hubs.
High-quality follow-up sessions and evaluation will be infused.
- $7000 Stipend (Teachers)
- $3500 Stipend (Pre-service Teachers)
- Materials stipend
- Travel support
- Room and board
- Hands-on research
- Faculty/Peer mentoring
- Professional development
- Partnership with Summer Research Opportunities Program
Who Should Apply?
- Applicants must be practicing science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) teachers/community college faculty who have bachelor’s degrees or higher in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) education or a STEM-related field OR pre-service STEM teachers who are currently enrolled in an undergraduate STEM education program (as a rising junior or higher).
- Applicants must be U. S. citizens, U. S. nationals, or permanent residents.
- Applicants must have an average technical grade point average of 3.0/4.0.
- The selection committee supports diversity among RET participants and their school populations.
How to Register
- For full consideration for participation in the 2017-18 nano@illinois RET, applications and all supporting documents must be submitted no later than Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 11:59 PM.
- Instructions on how to submit your supporting documents will be included in your confirmation e-mail.
- Supporting documents include: unofficial transcripts, resume/CV, and an administrator letter of recommendation.
- Nano@Illinois will begin to review applications before the due date, (semi-rolling applications), so it is best to submit as soon as you are able.
- Visit the nano@illinois Research Experience for Teachers webpage for Registration links.
- Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology