Pollen Power! Summer Day Camp for Girls - 2017
Date:Mon, 7/10/2017 - Fri, 7/14/2017
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
Camp Dates & Times
- July 10 - 14, 2017, from 9:00 a.m. — 5:00 p.m. each day
- Dropoff is from 8:30 a.m. — 9:00 a.m.
- Pickup is from 5:00 p.m. — 5:30 p.m.
- (Lunch and snacks will be provided)
Hosted by the Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology on the University of Illinois campus, the camp will provide an opportunity for girls to study plant responses to climate change in the distant past and the coming century. Research groups of 5 to 10 campers led by female graduate students will use million-dollar microscopes to image pollen, giving the campers first-hand experience in a research environment with female mentors.
The camp is designed for girls who are entering 6th, 7th or 8th grade in the Fall 2017, and who have an interest in plants and the environment.
Learn about the wonders and power of pollen!
- Investigate pollen as a time capsule that can tell us about the climate from millions of years ago
- Use hi-tech microscopes to identify ancient pollen and watch pollen germinate in real-time!
- Tour state-of-the-art research labs and facilities on campus
How to become part of Pollen Power
Want to be a part of the Pollen Power! summer camp this year? Just follow these simple steps to get a camper registered, supply payment information, and enjoy the camp.
- Go to the registration page and complete the camper registration. We will collect basic information about the camper at this point.
- If the camper qualifies for a scholarship, complete the portion of the registration form marked “Scholarship,” and answer a few additional questions required by the funding organizations that are helping fund our camp.
- All campers who are accepted will receive an email containing information on payment and final details on the camp.
Visit the Pollen Power Summer Camp website for full details.
- Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology