2017 High School Summer Bridge Program - Portuguese Program
Date:Mon, 6/5/2017 - Fri, 6/16/2017
Occurs each week on M/Tu/W/Th/F
Please note: this event occurred in the past!
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
Dates & Times
June 5 - 16 (M-F), 2017, from 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. each day.
- Two-week introductory course directed to High School students
- 3.5 hours of daily instruction
- Introduction to the Portuguese language for two weeks
- Immersion in Brazilian culture
- Language materials created by our instructors
- Activities supported with authentic aural/visual materials (music, films, and videos)
- Daily cultural activities designed to introduce students to highlights of Brazilian art, music, history, and food
- No prior knowledge of Portuguese assumed
- Enrollment limited to 12 students in one class
Course Objectives & Outcomes
- Understand, produce, and maintain simple conversations on everyday topics.
- Acquire basic understanding of: Brazilian culture, Brazilian populations, and Brazilian geography.
- Produce materials to be made available in the Center for Latin America and Caribbean Studies (CLACS)-Portuguese website.
- Movie and Discussion
- Music/Dance Activity
- Invited speaker on Brazilian cultural topic
- Brazil Geography and Populations
- Travel Highlights
Registration & Costs
Visit the CLACS Outreach webpage for Registration links and full details.
- Course fee: Free (includes materials)
- Registration deadline: Friday, April 21, 2017
- NOTE: Since space is limited, checks will not be cashed until participation in the program is confirmed. Selections will be based on teachers' recommendations.
- Department of Spanish & Portuguese