GAMES 2017: Computer Science
Date:Sun, 7/9/2017 - Sat, 7/15/2017
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
Girls’ Adventures in Mathematics, Engineering, and Science (GAMES) is an annual week-long camp, designed to give academically talented high school girls (rising 9th-12th graders) an opportunity to explore exciting engineering and scientific fields through demonstrations, classroom presentations, hands-on activities, and contacts with women in these technical fields.
GAMES presents an advanced curriculum, uses world-class instructional facilities, and provides an “away from home” experience at one of the best engineering schools in the world.
Enrollment in the program is limited to ensure the quality of the academic experience. GAMES has a selective admissions process based on academic performance, a written essay, and a teacher recommendation.
Visit the Camp Tracks webpage for full listing of available topics and options.
2017 Computer Science Camp Track
Robotics Camp gives young women the opportunity to harness the power of computer technology and bring robotic creations to life by building, programming, and controlling autonomous robots. Campers will participate in stimulating computer labs, hands-on robotic development and computer programming using the LEGO Mindstorm NXT system, 3pi robot by Pololu, and other activities that focus on group problem solving and creativity to address issues facing society today.
- Campers will learn about binary, logic gates, and Boolean algebra, while programming in C and NXC (Not eXactly C).
- Campers will learn how to calculate Voltage, current, and resistance while soldering sensors and resistors onto their very own 3pi robot, which they get to keep.
- Campers will build sumo robots, challenge the coordinator’s robot, and do a final relay challenge that combines all of the skills they learn in class.
Application & Cost:
- Eligibility: rising 9th-12th graders
- Cost: $1,000
- To apply: Visit the GAMES application website
- Please note: There are eight total GAMES Camp tracks to choose from. However, admissions is done on a first-completed, first-served basis, which means that your camp/topic of choice may be full at the time of your application’s consideration. If this happens, you will be placed on a waiting list for your first choice camp, and will be admitted to your second or third choice of camp, space permitting.
- Financial aid available for those who qualify.
- April 15, 2017 - Last day to submit applications (although they may be kept open if some camps are not full by this time)
- May 1, 2017 - Deadline for reserving your spot in the GAMES camp. Registration and non-refundable $50 deposit must be completed.
- May 31, 2017- Last day to submit full payment.
- GAMES 2017: Environmental Engineering and Sustainability
- GAMES 2017: Bioengineering
- GAMES 2017: Girls Building Awesome Machines (GBAM)
- GAMES 2017: Girls Learning About Materials (GLAM)
- GAMES 2017: Girls Learning Electrical Engineering (GLEE)
- GAMES 2017: Chemical Engineering
- GAMES 2017: Aerospace Engineering