Discover Bioengineering (DE-BioE) 2017
Date:Sun, 7/16/2017 - Sat, 7/22/2017
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
Discover Bioengineering (DE-BioE) is a week-long residential camp that introduces rising freshman and sophomores to the field of Bioengineering. Bioengineering is all about modeling of systems, design of new technologies and devices for low cost, effective medical care. Bioengineers study and understand how complex biological systems work and how to design and construct medical devices, design better therapeutics, and solve big problems facing society. Here are some of the exciting topics campers will discover:
- Cell and Tissue Engineering
- Biomechanics and Prosthetics
- Imaging and Sensing
- Therapeutics Engineering
- Computational and Systems Biology
These topics were covered through lectures, hands-on activities and team projects. Some hands-on activities and projects that campers were involved in included:
- Cell culture of mammalian cells
- Motion capture biomechanics
- Analysis of biomimetic materials
- Creating genetic models
- Building biomedical instrumentation
- The total camp fee for 2017 is $1,000, which covers tuition, housing, meals, and all fees for camp activities.
- A deposit of $50 is due upon notification of acceptance into the program. Please do not send a deposit with the application materials.
- Limited scholarships are available based upon financial need. (Scholarships supported in part by John Deere and Shell Corporation.)
- If you are in need of financial assistance to attend camp, there is a box on your application. Please click “yes” and fill out the questions.
May 1, 2017- Deadline for reserving your spot in the WYSE camp. Registration and non-refundable $50 deposit must be completed.
May 31, 2017- Last day to submit full payment (remaining $950).
Visit WYSE Summer Camps Application for application specifics.