2017 Summer Arabic Language Program for High School Students
Date:Sun, 6/11/2017 - Sat, 6/24/2017
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
The Summer Institute for the Languages of the Muslim World (SILMW) at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) opens its doors to motivated high school students for a 2-week intensive Elementary Arabic course. This is an introductory course in Modern Standard Arabic for high school students with limited or no prior knowledge of the Arabic language.
A program leading to success
During these 2-weeks, students will learn foundational reading, writing, and speaking skills in the Arabic language through four hours of daily classroom instruction followed by co-curricular activities, including conversation tables,research forum, film series, cooking classes, calligraphy, Henna Tattoo, field trips, and more. During the program, participants will meet college students, local Arabic community members, and live in a residence hall located on UIUC campus with Arabic speaking support staff. All of these aspects of the program will contribute to their knowledge of Arabic and to be more familial with the culture of the Arab word.
Students will earn 2 college credits, and will gain a sense of what to expect after graduating high school.
- Language program designed and run by experienced teachers, tutors and staff with native command of Arabic
- No prior knowledge of Arabic assumed
- Small class size and supportive environment
- Immersion in target language and culture
- Students will earn 2 college credits
- Solid preparation for college
How to Apply
- Visit the Application Information webpage
- Course registration will open on February 1, 2017.
- All application materials must be submitted by April 30, 2017.
Program Fees & Scholarships
- Projected cost per student is $2300 and includes tuition, fees, materials, activities fee, room and board.
- Non-refundable application fee: $25 due at time of application.
- Non-refundable program deposit: $250 due at time of registration.
- Limited financial aid is available.
- In order to be considered for a scholarship, you must apply and register by the deadline (April 30, 2017).
- The Summer Institute for Languages of the Muslim World