2017 ResearcHStart Program for High School Students
Date:Mon, 6/19/2017 - Fri, 8/11/2017
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
About the Program
ResearcHStart welcomes high school students from the Chicago and Urbana-Champaign areas to explore exciting careers in cancer research. Participants work full time in the laboratories of established cancer researchers, gaining hands-on experience in areas at the forefront of the field: cancer immunology, pharmacogenomics of anticancer agents, bioengineering, experimental cancer therapeutics, cancer disparities, and more.
Rigorous research training is complemented by career development and skill-building workshops, a cancer-based faculty lecture series, and a network of faculty and peer mentors dedicated to students’ success. The program culminates in a research symposium for family, friends, and members of the scientific community.
Participants receive a taxable stipend of $2,000.
Visit the researcHStart webpage for full details, including application links.
- High school junior or senior at time of application
- United States citizen or permanent resident
- Strong interest in a career in scientific research or medicine
- Strong academic record, particularly in math and science
- Ability to commit to eight full weeks of programming, 40 hours/week
Program Dates and Deadline
- Applications are due by Friday, January 20, 2017
- 8-Week Program Dates: June 19 to August 11, 2017
**Chicago Public School students are encouraged to apply. Arrangements will be made to accommodate the program’s conflict with the school district’s calendar.**
Contact Information by Location
- University of Chicago: researcHStart@bsd.uchicago.edu
- University of Illinois at Chicago: email@example.com
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: researcHStart@illinois.edu
- Cancer Community at Illinois
- University of Illinois @ Chicago