Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)
Website and/or Calendar Links
The nano@illinois REU an NSF-funded REU site in the area of nanotechnology at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The nano@illinois REU trains and mentors a diverse set of undergraduate students, including students from underrepresented minority groups, in cutting-edge research in nanotechnology. The research is guided and motivated by grand challenges facing our society and world. The REU students are part of a trans-generational educational experience in the rich and diverse nanotechnology environment at Illinois. Our goal is to solidify REU student interest in graduate research and education; to train them in critical elements of leadership, ethics, teamwork, mentoring, and outreach; and to improve their ability to communicate their research results to professional and lay audiences.
Who Should Apply?
- Undergraduates majoring in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
- Students with an average technical grade point average of 3.0/4.0 or higher
- U.S. citizenship/national or permanent residency is required
- Students from underrepresented minority groups and women are strongly encouraged to apply
- $5000 Stipend
- Travel support
- On-Campus housing
- Meal stipend
- Hands-on research
- Faculty/Peer mentoring
- Professional development
- Partnership with the Summer Research Opportunities Program/Graduate College