Community Learning Lab
Website and/or Calendar Links
The University of Illinois School of Social Work’s Community Learning Lab’s mission is to promote, establish, and sustain community engagement.
The Community Learning Lab (CLL) creates and supports relationships between the community and the students at the University of Illinois in a partnership that is mutually beneficial in the areas of sustainability, service, growth, and education.
- PARTNER with the community to produce outcomes that will enable them to enrich the services they provide, show the impact of their services, and maintain sustainability.
- PROVIDE students with an experiential learning opportunity that engages them as citizens and enhances their skills and education experiences in a marketable way.
- EMPOWER instructors to enhance their curriculums and serve vulnerable populations by overseeing the projects.
The CLL was started with grant support from the University of Illinois Office of Public Engagement.
Community groups are encouraged to apply to the CLL with project proposals at the beginning of each semester. We will work with faculty to find an appropriate match and make a concerted effort to facilitate as many partnerships as possible between agencies and classes.
To submit a project proposal, see the CLL application form.
- COMMUNITY PARTNERS: Submit projects that fulfill your agency’s needs. Contribute to the learning opportunities of University of Illinois students. Grow as a professional through mentoring and supervision.
- STUDENTS: Apply classroom learning to real life situations. Become more marketable and begin professional networking. Become an active, committed member of the community.
- INSTRUCTORS: Assignments turn into a transformative learning experience. Students connect the dots between academics and real life. Classroom conversations become more engaging and meaningful.
- School of Social Work
Partners Outside the University of Illinois:
- Champaign County Probation/Court Services
- Circle of Friends
- Cunningham Children's Home
- Faith in Action
- Family Services of Champaign County
- Franklin Middle School
- Hope Center
- Housing Authority of Champaign County
- Lincolns Challenge Academy
- Missions Project
- Multicultural Community Center - Rantoul
- Rape Advocacy, Counseling, & Education Services (RACES)
- Regional Office of Education
- The Center for Youth and Family Solutions