Illinois Geometry Lab
Website and/or Calendar Links
The Illinois Geometry Lab (IGL), located in 121 Altgeld Hall, showcases the mathematical talents of undergraduate students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. An increasingly diverse portfolio of research projects contributes to many fields within both pure and applied mathematics, and their outreach initiatives translate the mathematical expertise of their members into compelling and engaging programs for students and community members.
IGL students have analyzed problems related to dynamical systems, hyperbolic geometry, number theory, symplectic geometry, urban traffic planning, virtual reality, and social network analysis. Work done in the IGL continues to be recognized, both locally and nationally. To recognize and reward the amazing work being done in their projects, they've created a new departmental award, the IGL Research Award. The first annual IGL Research Awards were presented at the Spring 2017 Mathematics Department Award Ceremony.
On the outreach side, they travel to local elementary and middle school competitions to set up displays, host K-12 classes for interactive learning activities, and organize Saturday workshops. Their annual Summer Illinois Math camp is a week-long day camp for high school students, taught by graduate and undergraduate students, which focuses on advanced mathematical topics.
The Department of Mathematics outreach and public engagement activities serve all members of the wider community interested in exploring the creative and discovery-driven nature of mathematical exploration and research.
- Department of Mathematics
- 2018 Summer Illinois Math (SIM) Camp Epsilon (students entering 8th or 9th)
- Sonia Math Day: Knot Theory - Spring 2018
- Girls Engaged in Math and Science (GEMS) Workshop: Origami - Spring 2018
- Girls Engaged in Math and Science (GEMS) Workshop: Pottery Field Trip - Spring 2018
- Girls Engaged in Math and Science (GEMS) Workshop: String Art - Spring 2018
- 2018 Summer Illinois Math (SIM) Camp Omega (students entering 10th through 12th)
- Girls Engaged in Math and Science (GEMS) Workshop: Tesselations - Spring 2018
- 2018 Summer Illinois Math (SIM) Camp Delta (students entering 9th or 10th)
- Tap In Leadership Academy